- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 25 g caster sugar
- 0.5 fennel bulb, trimmed, shaved and sliced (about 40g)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, plus extra to garnish
- 0.5 tbsp pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 100 g lighter crème fraîche
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 120 g mild smoked salmon slices
To make the dill and fennel pickle, mix the white wine vinegar and sugar with 25ml cold water. In a small bowl, add the fennel, dill and peppercorns, pour over the liquid, making sure the fennel is fully immersed. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Mix the crème fraîche with the orange zest in a small bowl and season. Refrigerate until needed.
Spread the créme fraîche over a plate, slate or board and layer with the salmon. Scatter over the pickled fennel, drizzle with a little of the pickling liquid and serve garnished with the remaining dill.