- 0.5 celeriac (about 400g)
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 3 eschalion shallots, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 0.25 tsp ground cumin
- 100 g blanched hazelnuts
- 0.5 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 100 g Greek yogurt
- paprika, for dusting
- a little finely chopped parsley
- carrot batons, celery heart or chicory leaves, toasted pitta, olives and / or pickled chillies, to serve
Peel the celeriac, cut it into 3-4cm wedges and finely slice. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the shallots for a few minutes until softened, stirring frequently. Add the celeriac, season and continue to fry for 7-8 minutes, stirring, until golden, then stir in the cumin.
Add 75ml kettle-hot water, cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes more, until tender.
Whiz the hazelnuts in a food processor for 5 minutes or until they turn into a thick paste; scrape down the sides from time to time. Add the pan contents, the garlic, the lemon juice and remaining oil; whiz again to combine. Leave to cool for 15 minutes; add the yogurt, whiz again and season.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Drizzle with oil, dust with paprika and scatter over a little parsley, before serving with crudités, toasted pitta, olives and/or pickled chillies.