- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 beef meatballs with parsley and coriander
- 0.5 onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 410 g tin butterbeans in water, drained
- 500 g beef stock
- 2 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 seeded ciabatta, sliced and toasted
Heat the oil in a large saucepan then fry the meatballs until they are caramelised on the outside – about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onion and celery to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
Stir in the tomato purée, butterbeans and beef stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 6-8 minutes.
Return the meatballs to the pan along with the chopped fresh tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through and the tomatoes have begun to break down.
Garnish with the basil and serve with the toasted ciabatta
Cook's tip: save by doubling this recipe and freezing a batch for another time. It keeps in the freezer for up to three months – just defrost, reheat and garnish with fresh basil leaves.