- 0.5 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 0.5 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400 g tin Italian chopped tomatoes
- 100 g dried red lentils
- 1 low-salt chicken stock cube, made up to 500ml stock (or 500ml homemade stock)
- 205 g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 12.5 g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
In a food processor, whizz the onion, celery and red pepper to a purée. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the purée for around 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomato purée and sugar. Add the tomatoes and lentils to the pan along with the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer with the lid on for a further 30 minutes.
Uncover and tip in the chickpeas, cook for a further 5 minutes and top up with water if necessary. Season to taste. Stir through the lemon juice and chopped coriander just before serving.
Cook's tip: for a little kick, why not add a pinch of chilli flakes?