- 225 g cherry tomatoes on the vine, snipped into 4 bunches
- 28 g fresh basil, leaves picked and washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g lightly salted tortilla chips
- 75 g mature cheddar, grated
- 350 g Italian arrabbiata sauce
- 390 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 tsp Tabasco sauce
Preheat the grill to medium. Put the cherry tomatoes and half of the basil leaves on one half of a large baking tray. Drizzle with the oil and grill for 5-10 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and the basil is crisp.
Just before the end of cooking time, pull out the tray and scatter over the tortilla chips on the other half. Top with the cheese and grill until melted and golden – about 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pan, warm the arrabiatta sauce, chopped tomatoes, stock, balsamic vinegar and Tabasco until heated through.
Stir through the crisp grilled basil and divide the soup between bowls. Serve topped with the grilled tomatoes and fresh basil, with the cheesy nachos on the side.
Cook’s tip: no tortilla chips? Make cheese toasts instead: top slices of French bread with cheese, and grill.