- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stick celery, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (you may want to leave out for younger children if you're using a very spicy chilli)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 100 g red lentils
- 1.2 litres hot low-salt vegetable stock
- 1 sprig coriander, to garnish
- Wholemeal bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, celery, spices and chilli. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
Add the sweet potatoes and lentils and 1 litre of the stock. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Allow to cool slightly before blending until smooth. Add the remaining stock and reheat gently. Ladle into bowls and scatter over the coriander. Serve with the wholemeal bread.