- 600g fresh beetroot, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 small knob unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp natural Greek-style yogurt, to serve
- 2 tsp toasted mixed seeds, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Put the beetroot in a large bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of the oil, the cumin seeds, thyme and a good grinding of black pepper. Tip into a roasting tin and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until the beetroot is really tender when pierced with a knife.
Meanwhile, heat the butter and remaining oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the chopped apple and cook for a further few minutes.
Add the roasted beetroot to the pan with the stock and cook for 10 minutes. Using a stick blender or jug blender, whizz the soup until smooth. To serve, add a spoonful of yogurt and finish with a sprinkling of seeds.