- 625 ml tomato and herb pasta sauce
- 400 ml low-salt vegetable stock
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 50 g mini pasta for soup: pastini, conchiglietti, rigate or spaghetti, broken into pieces
- 100 g Savoy cabbage, shredded thinly
- 205 g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp pesto and crusty bread, to serve
In a large pan, mix the basic tomato sauce with the vegetable stock. Stir in the carrot and bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Add the pasta to the soup and cook for 8 minutes, or according to pack instructions. Five minutes before the end of cooking, add the cabbage and cannellini beans.
To serve, stir the pesto into the soup and devour with crusty bread, toasted if liked.
Cook's tip: blitz this up in the blender to make a tasty purée for younger toddlers