- 300 g pumpkin or butternut squash flesh (1 small butternut squash)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 500 ml whole milk
- 0.5 - 1 clove garlic, peeled and left whole
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 6 slices wholemeal or white bread (or you could try ciabatta bread if you have some)
- 4 free-range eggs
- a handful of fresh chopped herbs
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 20 g cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Cut the pumpkin flesh or butternut squash flesh into small pieces and scatter over a roasting tray with a drizzle of oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes until cooked and golden.
Cut the broccoli into small florets and steam until tender.
Place the milk and garlic together in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and leave to cool. Remove the garlic from the milk.
Lightly butter 12 muffin tins or an ovenproof dish, then lightly butter the bread and then cut or tear it into pieces and place it in the dish with the roasted pumpkin and steamed broccoli floret.
Beat the eggs with the cooled milk together in a jug. Add the chopped herbs and mustard and season with freshly ground black pepper. Pour this milk mixture over the bread and leave for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle over the grated cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and golden.