- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 250 g red lentils
- 600 ml vegetable stock made with low salt stock cube
- 410 g can mixed pulses in water, drained and rinsed
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50 g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
- Large bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. Line a 1-litre loaf tin with baking parchment.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and gently cook the onion for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic, spices and red lentils and toss together well cooking for just a minute. Pour in the stock and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender and have absorbed all of the liquid. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
Drain and rinse the mixed beans and place in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Stir this into the lentil mixture along with the breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs and parsley, mixing together well. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and cover loosely with a sheet of foil. Place in the oven to cook for 50 minutes until set and golden on top. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a board and slicing.