- 1 red cabbage, cored, quartered and tough outer leaves discarded
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 small onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 15 g unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 150°C, fan 130°C, gas 2.
Thinly slice the cabbage. In a small bowl, mix the garlic with the cinnamon, cloves, sugar and nutmeg.
Arrange the cabbage, onions, apples and spice mixture in alternate layers in a large casserole dish. Pour over the vinegar and dot the butter on top. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 2½ hours, stirring a couple of times during cooking.