Photo: Maja Smend
- 600 ml milk plus extra if needed
- 50 g butter
- 0.5 onion studded with clove
- 1 tsp whole mixed peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic clove peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprig thyme sprig
- 100 g fine breadcrumbs made from crustless white bread
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
In a pan, bring the milk to scalding point with the butter, onion, peppercorns, garlic, bay leaf and thyme, then reduce the heat to low and gently simmer for 20 minutes. Strain (discard the flavourings) and return the liquid to the pan.
Add the breadcrumbs and simmer for 3-4 minutes, adding extra milk as needed to thin the sauce to the consistency you like. Season with freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper before serving.