- 250 g basmati wild rice
- 300 g Greek-style natural yogurt
- 2 tsp garlic, pepper and chilli seasoning
- 0.5 tsp garam masala
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- Zest and juice of 1 lime, plus extra wedges for serving
- 350 g lean lamb leg steaks, diced
- 2 red onions, 1 cut into chunks, 1 thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 14 g fresh mint leaves, picked and finely chopped
Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the rice and cook for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain.
Meanwhile, preheat a grill or barbecue to high. Put half the yogurt in a large bowl with the garlic seasoning, garam masala,cumin and half of the lime juice, and mix together. Add the lamb,the red onion chunks and the yellow pepper, and mix well. Set aside to marinate for 5 minutes.
Thread the lamb, red onion chunks and yellow pepper onto the skewers. Grill or barbecue for 5 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the lamb is cooked through.
Make the salad: put the thinly sliced onion, fennel, carrot and remaining lime juice in a salad bowl and toss together. Then mix the remaining yogurt with the lime zest and the chopped mint.
Serve the skewers with the rice and salad, with the lime yogurt dressing and lime wedges on the side.
Cook’s tip: you can use thinly sliced white cabbage in place of the fennel, if preferred. For more ideas with lamb see our recipe for 2 ways to flavour lamb and see our How to make lamb kebabs video too.