- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 4 fresh mackerel fillets
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 400 g ripe tomatoes, washed and cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, washed and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, washed, deseeded and sliced
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, washed and torn
- 40 g pitted black olives, sliced
- 50 g reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- 1 white baton, torn, to serve
In a large frying pan over a medium heat, toast the fennel seeds for 1 minute. Lightly crush with the back of a knife on a board.
Brush the mackerel with the oil and scatter over the fennel seeds. Return the pan to the heat and cook the mackerel, skin-side down, for 3 minutes, turn and cook the other side for 2 minutes until cooked through. Remove the skin and discard.
Toss together the onion, tomatoes, cucumber, yellow pepper and lettuce in a bowl and scatter over the olives, cheese and oregano. Divide between plates, then top each with a mackerel fillet. Serve with the lemon wedges and bread.