- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 red, orange or yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Pinch soft light brown sugar
- 300 g pasta
- 200 g tin tuna in spring water, drained
- Handful grated parmesan or cheddar
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 slices of toast, crumbled into breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan, add the onion, celery, if using, pepper and garlic, and fry gently for 10 minutes until really soft. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and sugar and simmer gently, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until thickened.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions and drain. Put the pasta in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the tuna over the top. Cover with the tomato sauce and carefully mix together.
Sprinkle the cheese, herbs and breadcrumbs over the top and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the top is golden and the pasta is heated through.