- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 12g fresh coriander, washed, to garnish
Heat half the oil in a large pan over a high heat and brown the chicken all over until golden (you may need to do this in batches). Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Return the pan to the heat with the rest of the oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring, until the onion is golden and caramelised, then stir in the cinnamon, star anise and fennel seeds and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Return the browned chicken to the pan, add the chopped tomatoes and stir everything together. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the chicken is tender.
Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve with basmati rice.