- 100 g unsalted English butter by Sainsbury's
- 1 tbsp olive oil by Sainsbury's
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly by Sainsbury's
- 30 g stuffing herb mix by Sainsbury's, finely chopped
- 300 g breadcrumbs, made using white bread
- 2 medium British free-range Woodland eggs by Sainsbury's, beaten
- 240 g peeled and cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 60 g pecans by Sainsbury's, chopped
- 80 g cranberries, washed and roughly chopped
- 5 kg Taste the Difference Norfolk Black free-range turkey
Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5 and make the stuffing. Melt 50g butter with the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and redcurrant jelly and fry for 5 minutes. Add the chopped herb mix and cook for 3-5 minutes. Put in a bowl, season and mix in the remaining ingredients. Chill until needed.
Remove the giblets (if any) from inside the turkey. Carefully loosen the skin from the neck end of the bird and fill the neck cavity with stuffing. Gently pull the skin back on to the underside of the turkey and secure with cocktail sticks or small metal skewers. Place the turkey in a large non-stick roasting tin.
Gently rub 50g softened butter all over the turkey, then loosely cover with foil and roast in the oven for 3 hours 30 minutes.
To test whether the bird is cooked, insert a skewer into the thigh – the juices should run clear. If not, return it to the oven. When it’s done, remove the turkey from the oven, re-cover it with foil and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.