- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 g lean smoked bacon medallions, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 courgette, halved and cut into chunks
- 1 aubergine, cut into small pieces
- 4 tomatoes, cut into large wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 500 g carton passata
- 0.5 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 460 g pack chicken thigh fillets
- 0.5 x 28g pack of fresh flat leaf parsley, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan, gas 6. In a large oven proof pan, heat the oil and cook the bacon for 5 minutes until crispy. Remove and reserve for later.
Add the onion, courgette, and aubergine to the pan and fry for 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, garlic, chilli, passata, 50ml water and chicken stock cube. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Add the chicken thigh fillets, half of the parsley, reserved bacon and mixed herbs. Stir to coat the chicken in sauce and cook for 30 minutes in the oven. Remove from the oven and serve straight away garnished with the remaining parsley and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper.
Make it veggie: Leave out the bacon and chicken, and replace the chicken stock cube with a vegetable stock cube. Cook the vegetables and serve with a nut roast.