- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 200 g Spanish paella rice
- 1 large pinch saffron or turmeric
- 2 medium tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
- 450 ml pouch fresh chicken stock
- 120 g frozen peas or soy beans, defrosted
- 225 g pack frozen raw jumbo king prawns, defrosted
- 75 g Spanish diced chorizo
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- ½ lemon, sliced to garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add the onion and celery, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the 2 garlic cloves and rice, then crumble in the saffron strands or add the turmeric. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the tomatoes and stock, then bring to the boil, cover and turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add the peas or soy beans, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes, adding the prawns a couple of minutes before the end until cooked through.
Meanwhile, cook the chorizo in a non-stick frying pan for 5 minutes until golden. Add to the rice. Mix the mayonnaise with the garlic and serve dolloped onto the paella with slices of lemon and some chopped parsley.