- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 520 g pack British diced pork shoulder
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 410 g tin black-eye beans, drained and rinsed
- 25 g plain dark chocolate
- 250 g basmati rice, cooked, to serve
- 1 small avocado, sliced, to serve
Preheat the oven to 170ºC, fan 160ºC, gas 3. In a large ovenproof casserole dish, heat half the oil over a medium heat. Brown the pork on all sides – preferably in a couple of batches – then transfer to a bowl.
Heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and smoked paprika, then cook for a further 30 seconds.
Add the chopped tomatoes and black-eye beans with 300ml boiling water and the browned pork, stir well and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook in the oven for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove the casserole from the oven and stir in the chocolate until it has melted. Serve with the basmati rice and avocado slices.