- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- Half 160 g pack of smoked cubetti di pancetta by Sainsbury's
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 500 g 5% fat lean beef mince by Sainsbury's
- 50 g chicken livers by Sainsbury's, defrosted and finely chopped
- 1 whole nutmeg, to grate
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 x 390g cartons chopped tomatoes
- 350 g spaghetti
- 25 g parmesan shavings
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and onion and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add the carrot and celery, cook for 4-5 minutes and then add the pancetta. Season and stir well, cooking for 2 minutes until the pancetta becomes crispy. Add the garlic and rosemary, cooking for another minute.
Break in the mince using a wooden spoon, and brown all over for about 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken livers and stir well to combine, as well a pinch of the grated nutmeg.
Pour in the wine and allow to reduce for one minute, before pouring in the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer gently for 60-75 minutes, topping up with more liquid if needed. Remove the lid for the last 15 minutes so the sauce thickens.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions. Drain, and divide between four plates. Spoon over the bolognese, and serve sprinkled with parmesan and fresh basil leaves.