- 3 (about 450g in total) lamb steaks, cut into cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 0.5 tsp olive oil
- 0.5 tsp each ground cinnamon and ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp tomato purée
- 350 g jar passata with onion and garlic
- 410 g tin chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 16 pitted Greek black olives, halved
- 0.5 tsp sugar
Heat a large, deep, lidded frying pan or flameproof heavy-based pan over a high heat.
Meanwhile, toss the lamb and carrots with the oil and spices in a bowl, then add to the hot pan. Brown the meat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 250ml water, the tomato purée and passata and stir well.
Cover and simmer on the hob for 20 minutes, before adding the chick peas, halved black olives and the sugar.
Season the stew to taste, then cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until the lamb is just tender.