- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range chicken thighs
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, washed and finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 200 g red lentils
- 400 g water or low-salt stock
- 1 large handful fresh chopped thyme and/or parsley
- crusty bread for dipping
Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan, add the chicken pieces and fry until slightly golden. Take the chicken out of the pan. Add the onion, garlic and celery and soften gently; this will take about 15 mins.
Add the carrots and parsnips (or sweet potatoes) and move around in the pan slightly until golden.
Return the chicken to the pan; add the lentils and water or stock and chopped herbs. Cover and simmer gently for 25 mins or until the chicken and lentils are cooked. Tear or cut the chicken into smaller pieces for toddlers and purée for babies.