- 1 unwaxed lemon, washed, zested and juiced
- 1.3 kg British free-range whole chicken
- 250 g couscous
- 75 g Californian seedless raisins
- 400 ml low-salt chicken stock, boiling hot
- 100 g toasted pine nuts
- 0.5 cucumber, washed, deseeded and cut into small chunks
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, washed and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp honey (remember that honey isn't suitable for children under year)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Preheat the oven to 190ºC, fan 170ºC, gas 5. In a small bowl, mix together the honey, olive oil, garlic and the lemon juice. Put the chicken into a roasting tin, breast-side up, and brush over half of the marinade. Roast the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the oven and pour over the remaining marinade. Carefully turn the chicken over breast-side down. Roast for a further 40 minutes until cooked through, no pink colour remains and juices run clear. Cover the chicken with a sheet of foil for the last 20 minutes of cooking time. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, tip the couscous into a large bowl and add the raisins. Pour over the boiling chicken stock and cover with clingfilm. Set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork, then stir in the pine nuts, cucumber and tomatoes. Stir the lemon zest into the couscous.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and discard, then take all the meat off the bones. Shred or cut into small bite-size pieces. Stir into the couscous.