- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cans of tomatoes, chopped
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 3 cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 x 400ml tin reduced-fat coconut milk
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinless
- juice of ½ lime
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
Whizz the onion in a food processor with the coriander, cumin, turmeric and 100ml of water, until a paste is formed.
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or shallow casserole, add the onion paste, tomatoes, sugar and a teaspoon of salt. Simmer together for 5 minutes, stirring.
Next, stir in the ginger, garlic, chopped chilli and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, then add the chicken thighs. Cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes
Remove the lid, increase the heat and bubble for a further 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the lime juice and coriander. Serve with rice.