- 2 aubergines, trimmed and sliced thinly lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g dried red lentils
- 200 g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cubes of frozen crushed garlic
- 0.5 tsp Fairtrade ground cinnamon
- 800 g tins Pomodorini cherry tomatoes in rich tomato juice
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 14 g fresh flat-leaf parsley, washed and roughly chopped
- 350 g tub Italian cheese sauce
- Multi-seed rolls, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas 4. Put the aubergine slices on a baking tray and brush with half the olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes, until softened.
Meanwhile, cook the lentils in a pan of boiling water for 15 minutes, adding the carrots for the final 7 minutes of cooking time. Drain.
While the aubergine, lentils and carrots are cooking, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic cubes and fry gently for 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add the cinnamon, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste and the drained lentils and carrots to the pan with the garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in most of the chopped parsley.
Preheat the grill to high. Layer the lentil mix and aubergine slices in a large baking dish, finishing with a layer of aubergine slices. Spoon over the cheese sauce, then place under the grill for 5 minutes, until the top is golden. Garnish with the remaining parsley and serve with the rolls.