For the salad:
- 400 g Jersey Royals, halved if large
- 2 bulbs fennel, finely sliced
- 75 g pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- a squeeze of fresh orange
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
For the fish:
- 4 whole sea bass, weighing 300g each
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, peel left on and sliced
- 2 oranges, peel left on and sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for about 12-15 minutes until tender, drain and allow to cool a little. Place in a bowl and combine with the fennel, olives, spring onions and chives. Add the orange juice and olive oil, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
Spark up the barbecue. Slash the sea bass on both sides and season with freshly ground black pepper. Rub each fillet with some oil. Place a bay leaf and some lemon slices in the cavities of each. When the barbecue coals are ready, carefully arrange a row of orange slices on the grill and top with a sprig of thyme. Lay a fish on top, and then top with some more orange slices. Repeat with the remaining fish.
Cook the fish for about 6 minutes and then turn and cook for another 6 minutes until cooked through. To serve, carefully lift the fish onto serving plates and serve with some of the potato salad.