- 500g carrots, peeled and cut into batons
- 500g parsnips, peeled and cut into batons
- ½ red onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 600g chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g long-grain rice
Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas mark 5. Place the carrots, parsnips, onion and chicken in a medium roasting tin. Drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with the mixed herbs and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked, the chicken pieces are golden brown and piping hot and the juices run clear. Turn once or twice during cooking. Add the chickpeas to the tin and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to instructions on the packet. Drain and serve with the vegetables and chicken.