Photograph: Richard Jung
- 300 g dried fine egg noodles
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil, plus a little extra
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillet, sliced into strips
- 1 splash of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and finely sliced
- 300 g bean sprouts
- 2 large spring onions, trimmed and sliced lengthways
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
In a pan of boiling water, cook the noodles for 3 minutes. Drain, run under cold water and toss with a little sesame oil.
Mix the chicken with the dark soy sauce and coat with the five-spice and cornflour. Heat the two tablespoons of oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat, then add the chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until cooked.
Add the red pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the bean sprouts and spring onion and stir-fry briefly.
Add the noodles and season with the light soy sauce and the remaining sesame oil.
Recipe adapted from Chinese Food Made Easy by Ching-He Huang (Harper Collins, £17.99)