- 10 g unsalted English butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 920 g British chicken thigh fillets, cut into pieces
- 3 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 3.75 g fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 tbsp British plain flour
- 600 ml hot chicken stock (made with 1 stock cube)
- 200 g pack sugar snaps
- 125 g pack asparagus tips, halved
- 90 ml British single fresh cream
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or parsley (optional)
Heat the butter and a drizzle of olive oil in a deep, lidded frying pan or heavy-based pan over a high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 4-5 minutes until just turning golden. Add the leeks and thyme, cook for a further 5 minutes then add the flour, stirring into the pan juices.
Gradually add the hot stock, bring up to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Throw in the vegetables and cook for a further 2 minutes before adding the cream and herbs, if using.
Cook's tip: topping the cooled filling with some puff pastry and baking would quickly transform this into a great pie.