- 200g butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 125g wholewheat penne pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 80g gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 50g rocket leaves, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6. Spread the butternut squash out in a small roasting tin and roast for 20-25 minutes until tender.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to instructions on the packet. Heat the oil in a small frying pan and fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 6-7 minutes until softened.
Place in a bowl with the roasted butternut squash and 65g of the cheese. Use a stick blender to purée everything, adding 150ml of water to loosen the mixture.
Drain the pasta and stir into the purée. Transfer to a shallow 20cm-square ovenproof dish and scatter over the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbling. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve with the rocket leaves.
These recipes are based on an adult's reference intakes. For more information on children's nutritional requirements, click here