Photograph: Mikkel Vang
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 kg chuck or blade steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 500 g onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 125 ml red wine vinegar
- 500 ml beef stock
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 strips of lemon peel
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a small knob of unsalted butter
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 500 g gnocchi, cooked according to pack instructions
- a dollop of soured cream, sprinkled with paprika
Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. Put the flour, 1 tbsp of the paprika, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Add the steak and toss to coat, shake off excess flour and place in a large casserole dish.
Add the onion, garlic, chilli, tomato purée, the remaining paprika, vinegar, stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and lemon peel. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then cover the dish and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 hours.
To finish, heat the oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the mushrooms for 3-5 minutes. Stir into the goulash and scatter with parsley. Serve with gnocchi and soured cream.
This recipe is taken from Easy by Bill Granger (HarperCollins, £20)