- 1 kg British chicken thighs & drumsticks
- 200 g shallots, peeled and halved
- 750 g baby potatoes, cut into thick wedges
- 400 g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 30 g walnut halves
- 15 g fresh thyme, leaves picked, with a few washed sprigs left whole to garnish
- 50 g Abergavenny goats’ cheese, crumbled
Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180ºC, gas 6. Put the chicken in a large baking dish with the shallots, potatoes, squash and garlic. Drizzle with the oil and toss to coat. Season with freshly ground black pepper and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, turning halfway through.
Remove the tray from the oven and stir through the walnuts and the thyme leaves. Roast for a further 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, the skin is crispy, the veg is tender and the walnuts are toasted.
To serve, scatter over the goats' cheese and garnish with the thyme.
Cook's tip: why not experiment with this recipe and try different veg – sweet potato works well instead of squash, or you could throw in a few wedges of fennel, too.