- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 g smoked bacon medallions, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, washed and finely chopped
- 120 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 g Arborio risotto rice
- 250 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 800 ml vegetable stock made with 1 vegetable stock cube
- 45 g reduced fat crème fraîche
- 100 g curly leaf kale
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 20 g parmesan, grated
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, gas mark 4. In a large, shallow ovenproof casserole dish, heat the oil and fry the bacon for 2 minutes before adding the leeks, sprouts and garlic.
Cook for 5 minutes before adding the rice, milk and vegetable stock. Put the lid on and transfer to the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
Stir through the crème fraîche, kale and lemon juice and zest. Replace the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes, until the rice and vegetables are tender. Serve sprinkled with the parmesan and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper.