- 500 g aubergines, trimmed and sliced lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 400 g carton chopped tomatoes
- 350 g tub tomato and basil sauce
- 14 g fresh basil, leaves picked, washed and torn, plus extra to garnish
- 250 g mozzarella cheese balls, drained and sliced
- 30 g Italian hard cheese, grated
- 75 g young leaf salad, washed, to serve
- 1 white baton, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180ºC, fan 160ºC, gas 4. Brush the aubergine slices all over with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil and some freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until thickened.
Spoon a little of the sauce into a 1.5 litre oven proof dish. Add a layer of aubergine slices then top with some mozzarella. Repeat until everything is used up. Sprinkle with the hard cheese; bake for 20 minutes.
Garnish with the extra basil and serve with the bread and salad on the side.