- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150 g baby aubergines, cut in half lengthways
- 150 g okra, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 0.5 tsp nigella seeds
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 green chillies, finely sliced
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400 g tinned tomatoes, whizzed in a food processor or mashed with a fork
- 150 g new potatoes, cooked
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
Heat half the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and sauté the aubergines and okra for 5-10 minutes until they start to colour.
Meanwhile, heat the other half of the oil in a medium saucepan and add the fennel, nigella and cumin seeds and stir fry for 30 seconds. Then add the ginger, garlic and green chillies and cook for a further 30 seconds taking care not to let it burn.
Add the turmeric and immediately add the tomato purée and whizzed tinned tomatoes. Allow the mixture to simmer for 4-5 minutes then add the aubergines, okra and potatoes. Cook for a couple of minutes until the aubergines, okra and potatoes are fully covered in sauce, then add the stock and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes on a medium heat.
Stir through the coriander, season and serve.