Photo: Karen Thomas
- juice of 8 limes (you want 150ml juice; keep the lime shells), plus 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 8 large passion fruit, halved and pulp removed (you want 200ml), plus extra halves to serve, if you like
- 1 stick of lemongrass, bruised and cut into short lengths
- 28 g mint, leaves only
- 1 x 250ml bottle Monin gomme (pure cane sugar syrup)
- 300 ml white rum
- ice cubes
- 500 ml soda water, chilled
- 500 ml ginger ale, chilled
Put the lime juice, the lime shells, the passion fruit pulp, the pieces of lemongrass and about a third of the mint in a jug. ‘Muddle’ all the ingredients together with the end of a rolling pin, stir in the gomme and rum. Set aside for an hour or so if time allows.
Strain the cocktail mix through a sieve, pushing with the back of a spoon to make sure you get as much pulp and flavour as possible; discard the lime shells, lemongrass, mint and passion fruit seeds.
Put some ice and mint leaves in each of 8 highball glasses, fill each one a third full with the cocktail mix and top up with equal amounts of soda water and ginger ale.
Add a lime wedge to each glass and half a passion fruit if you are feeling fancy.