- 150 g plain flour
- 25 g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 2 medium British free-range eggs
- 350 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 25 g butter, melted
- 0.5 tsp Madagascan vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sunflower oil, for frying
- Extra caster sugar, to serve
- Lemon juice or wedges, to serve
Sieve the flour into a bowl; stir in the sugar. Separate one egg and put the yolk in a jug (save the egg white for another recipe). Add the other whole egg and milk to the jug and whisk. Make a well in the flour and whisk in the milk and egg mixture to form a smooth batter. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
Smear the oil in a 20cm non-stick frying pan and put over a medium heat until hot. Pour in enough batter to cover the base. Cook for 1 minute; flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds until cooked through.
Transfer to a warm plate and repeat until you have 8-10 pancakes. Serve with caster sugar and a drizzle of lemon juice.