- 200 g unsalted English butter at room temperature
- 175 g light brown soft sugar
- 2 large British free-range eggs
- 175 g British self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp red food colouring
- 150 ml Greek-style natural yogurt
- 1 tsp Madagascan vanilla extract
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 150 g icing sugar
- 75 g soft cream cheese
- 250 g frozen summer fruits defrosted juices reserved
Preheat the oven to 180°C,fan 160°C fan, gas 4. Grease a 2lb (900g) loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
Put 100g of the butter in a bowl with the light brown sugar and beat with a hand-held electric whisk until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg at a time with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the food colouring, yogurt and vanilla extract. Fold in the remaining flour with the cocoa powder until smooth.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50-55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
Make the frosting: put the remaining butter in a bowl and use a hand-held electric whisk to beat until smooth, then beat in the icing sugar. Add the soft cheese and beat until thick and pale. Spread over the cooled cake, then top with the defrosted berries and spoon over the reserved juices.