Photograph: Martin Poole
- 5 pears, about 1kg in total
- a generous pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
For the topping:
- 50 g plain flour
- 25 g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 50 g butter, melted
- 75 g dark ginger chocolate (50% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. For the cobbler topping, mix together the flour, ground almonds, demerara sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Whisk in the yogurt and melted butter.
Peel and core the pears, then slice them thickly lengthways. Arrange the slices in a 20-24cm round or square ovenproof dish, toss with the ground ginger, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of water.
Stir the chopped chocolate into the cobbler mixture, then dollop evenly over the pears.
Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and extra demerara sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve warm.
Kitchen secret: serve this comforting pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.