Photograph: Kate Whitaker
- 250 g dried figs, chopped
- 3 tbsp sultanas
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 4 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 1 pinch of ground allspice
- 8 trifle sponges
- 500 g fresh custard
- candied lemon peel and coloured sugar, to decorate
For the syllabub
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50 ml sweet dessert wine, such as Muscat De St Jean De Minervois
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 300 ml double cream, chilled
For the syllabub, tip the sugar, lemon zest and juice, sweet dessert wine and brandy into a small bowl, stir and set aside.
Mix the figs, sultanas, raisins, half the brandy, the sugar and the allspice in a bowl.
Toss the trifle sponges, halved, with the remaining brandy in the bottom of a trifle bowl.
Top with the fig mixture, followed by the custard.
Pour the double cream into the lemon mixture and whip together until thickened; pile on top of the trifle. Chill.
Top with candied lemon peel and coloured sugar.
Get ahead: prepare the trifle to the end of step 5 a few hours ahead; keep the trifle chilled.