- 500g light brown soft sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 50g unsalted English butter
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 10 British Royal Gala apples, washed
- ½ x 75g pot red sprinkles, to decorate
- ½ x 75g pack edible gold glimmer sugar, to decorate
- 10 lolly sticks
Put the sugar in a heavy-based pan with 120ml water. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, without stirring, then add the vinegar, butter and golden syrup.
Boil for about 12 minutes, until it’s at the soft-crack stage (138°C on a sugar thermometer, or test a little in cold water: it should form threads that bend a little before breaking).
Push the lolly sticks into the tops of the apples. Dip the apples into the hot caramel, turning to coat (be careful as the caramel will be extremely hot). Add the sprinkles and glimmer sugar. Leave to set on a tray lined with baking paper for 15 minutes.