- 75 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp Fairtrade caster sugar
- 1 medium British free-range egg
- 175 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 10 g unsalted English butter, melted, plus an extra 60g for the topping
- A little sunflower oil for frying
- 4 tbsp dark soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Fairtrade bananas, sliced on the diagonal
- 150 ml half-fat crème fraîche
Sift the flour into a bowl; stir in the sugar. In a jug, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour into the flour mixture then whisk until smooth. Stir in the melted butter. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
Smear a little of the oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Pour in a quarter of the batter. Cook for 1 minute; flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Transfer to a warm plate. Repeat to make 4 pancakes.
Put the remaining butter, brown sugar and juice in a pan and heat gently, stirring, until bubbling. Add the banana and warm through for a few minutes.
To serve, top the pancakes with the bananas then spoon over the sauce and the crème fraîche.