- 2 dessert apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped
- 200 g spring rhubarb, washed and chopped
- 100 ml apple juice
For the custard:
- 2 medium British free-range egg yolks
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 400 ml whole milk
- 1 tsp Madagascan vanilla extract
Place the apples, pear, rhubarb and apple juice in a saucepan and cook gently for 10 mins, until the fruit is very tender and mushy.
Meanwhile, place the egg yolks, cornflour, milk and vanilla extract in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan and very gently heat until thickened and smooth. This should take about 7-8 mins.
Place the apple, pear and rhubarb in a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Serve with the custard.
Cook's tip: freeze the compote in individual serving pots or freezer bags for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating. The custard will not freeze very well but will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.