- 150 g unsalted butter softened
- 150 g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 3 medium British free-range eggs
- 160 g British self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tbsp British fresh semi-skimmed milk
- 60 g Belgian white cooking chocolate, chopped into pieces
For the quick fudge frosting:
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 200 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 144 g sugar-coated chocolate mini eggs, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Line 2 cupcake tins with 16 small paper cases.
Place the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat using a hand-held electric mixer until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour and cocoa powder and continue to beat for a few minutes more.
Add enough milk to make the mixture a soft, dropping consistency, then use it to half-fill the cases. Place a piece of white chocolate in the centre of each cake, then top with the remaining mixture.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely.
For the frosting, put the butter and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan and heat gently until the butter melts.
Remove from the heat and add the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. While the frosting is warm, spread a little on top of each cake and decorate with mini eggs.
Cook's tip: line your baking tin with 2 cake cases for each fairy cake for a pretty effect when they’re displayed.