- 1 tbsp olive oil by Sainsbury's
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 g smoked bacon lardons by Sainsbury's
- 500 g extra lean British beef steak mince by Sainsbury's
- 100 ml red wine, optional
- 780 g Italian chopped tomatoes by Sainsbury's
- 2 tbsp tomato purée by Sainsbury's
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce by Sainsbury's
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce by Sainsbury's
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs by Sainsbury's
- 60 g unsalted English butter by Sainsbury's
- 60 g British plain flour by Sainsbury's
- 850 ml British semi-skimmed milk by Sainsbury's
- 250 g egg lasagne sheet by Sainsbury's
- 30 g Parmigiano Reggiano by Sainsbury's, grated
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes, adding the garlic for the last minute. Stir in the bacon and fry for a further 5 minutes until golden. Turn up the heat and add the mince. Stir for about 5 minutes until cooked through and beginning to brown.
Pour in the red wine, if using. Bring to the boil, then cook for 30 seconds before stirring in the tomatoes, tomato purée, soy sauce, Worcester sauce and mixed herbs. Gently simmer for 15-20 minutes until thick and concentrated. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a pan, then add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously for a smooth consistency. Once all the milk has been added, bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until the sauce has thickened.
Place a third of the mince mixture in a 2.5-litre oven proof dish. Cover with 2 lasagne sheets, then top with a third of the white sauce. Repeat this process twice, finishing with the remaining white sauce. Top with the grated cheese and cook in the oven for 40-50 minutes, until bubbling.