- 1 courgette, sliced into long strips
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 8 equal pieces
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 8 equal pieces
- 1 aubergine, sliced into ¾cm strips
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 100 g Somerset goats' cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, to garnish
Mix the courgette, peppers and aubergine with 1 tablespoon of oil and griddle for about 5 minutes on each side, until stripes appear.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, ketchup and chilli and blend with a hand mixer. Cook for 10 minutes until reduced to a thick sauce.
Divide 4 red pepper strips between 4 plates. Add a slice of aubergine, then courgette, yellow pepper and cheese. Repeat until the veg is used. Add the basil and season with ground black pepper. Serve with the sauce.
Cook's tip: to serve 2, halve the ingredients and prepare as above.