- 225 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75 g unsalted English butter, softened, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 40 g Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 75 g sultanas
- 25 g milk chocolate chips
- 0.5 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp whole milk, plus extra for brushing
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp Fairtrade caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / gas 6. Put the flour in a large bowl, add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips. Stir in the sugar, sultanas, chocolate chips and mixed spice.
In a jug, beat together the egg and milk. Pour into the flour mixture and bring together to make a soft dough.
Dust a work surface with the extra flour and roll out the dough to about 2cm thick. Using a 5cm cutter, stamp out the scones and put onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Re-roll the trimmings and stamp out more rounds to make about 10 scones.
To make the crosses, mix together the plain flour with 1 tablespoon of water and knead to make a smooth dough. Roll out thinly, then cut into strips. Lay the strips on top of the scones to make crosses.
Brush with the extra milk, then bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden.
Mix together the caster sugar with 1 tablespoon of water and use to glaze the tops of the scones as they come out of the oven. Cool on a wire rack. Split and serve. Spread with a little butter, if you like.