- 80 g unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 60 g golden syrup
- 2 British free-range eggs, yolks only
- 250 g British plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp Fairtrade ground ginger
- 1 tsp Fairtrade ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy, then stir in the bicarbonate of soda, golden syrup and egg yolks. Sift in the flour, ginger and cinnamon and bring the mixture together with your hands.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the mixture out to a thickness of 0.5cm. Use the gingerbread cutters to stamp out 5 gingerbread families.
Place the biscuits on the baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then cool on a wire rack before decorating.
Cook's tip: how to decorate your gingerbread family: In a small bowl, thoroughly mix 200g icing sugar with 1½ tablespoons water. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a fine nozzle and draw some hair and clothes on the gingerbread biscuits. Use colour writing icing pens, sprinkles and chocolate beans to create faces and add sparkly details.