- 125 g English unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing optional
- 0.5 orange, finely grated zest and juice
- 1 tsp Fairtrade ground mixed spice
- 200 g Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp Madagascan vanilla extract
- 200 g British self-raising flour
- 200 g mixed dried fruit
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease 3 baking trays or line with greaseproof paper. If you don't have 3 trays, bake the cookies in batches.
In a bowl, beat the butter, orange zest, mixed spice and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract, sift in the flour, then add the dried fruit and orange juice, and mix well.
Form the mixture into small balls using a teaspoon and put them onto the baking trays, spacing well apart. They will spread and flatten into cookies as they bake
Bake for 10-13 minutes until cooked and light golden, but still chewy inside. Leave to cool.
Cook's tip: for an extra treat, add some white, milk or dark chocolate chips or chunks to this recipe.